Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis), Native Americans called it the Wand of Heaven. Ancient Egyptians called it the Plant of Immortality.
Aloe vera has been used for thousands of years. We have been using aloe vera for its therapeutic uses, from soothing sunburn to improving cardiovascular health. Legend has it that applying aloe vera gel was part of Cleopatra’s daily beauty regimen, and that it was the reason for her youthful appearance.
Use aloe leaves as a moisturizing body scrub. Cut off a leaf from the plant, slice it lengthwise, and scrub your body with the inner sides. You can also scoop the gel out with a spoon and use it as a liquid soap or body wash and as a shampoo. Aloe vera helps promote hair growth and reduce dandruff or use it as a leave-on conditioner for smoother hair. Aloe vera is your skin’s best friend! It is used in all of our skin care products. It is great to treat sunburn, psoriasis, eczema, allergic skin reactions, and burns. It works even better for burns by adding lavender and patchouli essential oils. Use it as an all-natural moisturizer for dry skin. Use it the way Cleopatra did and get rid of wrinkles and blemishes and improve your complexion.
Here is a recipe for an all natural shampoo using aloe vera:
What you will need:
- Homemade aloe gel
- Apple cider vinegar
- Blender or hand mixer
Directions for making your all natural shampoo:
- Make your own aloe vera gel by scraping out the aloe from the peel, make sure all of the brown residue is removed by placing aloe vertically until all the brown oil seeps out.
- Combine ¼ cup of your homemade aloe gel with 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Puree the mixture in a blender. If you don’t have a blender, you can mix the ingredients with a hand mixer or with a spoon with a little effort.
Unfortunately, the mixture won’t smell very good. You can use it on your hair as is and just rinse immediately or you can add a few drops of aromatic essential oils to it to make it smell better. Lavender or Grapefruit are great as well as Lemon and Rosemary.
Make just the amount of natural aloe shampoo that you will need every day. Honey tends to spoil when mixed with other ingredients, so it is best to make the shampoo right before your bath.
Aloe is also great for the complexion. Here is a face mask recipe for you.
All-natural face masks may be used to reduce the appearance of pigmentation and blemishes, remove a tan, get glowing skin, and get rid of pimples. This aloe vera face mask can do all of the above.
What you will need:
- Aloe vera
- Ground turmeric
- A teaspoon of honey
- A teaspoon of milk
- Rose water
- A small bowl
- A blender
Instructions for Making and Using Your Aloe Vera Face Pack:
- In a small bowl, combine a pinch of ground turmeric, a teaspoon of milk, a teaspoon of honey, and a couple of drops of rose water. Mix everything with a spoon until a paste is formed.
- Add aloe vera gel into the paste and mix well. You can use a blender to get a smoother paste.
- Pour the face pack into a glass container.
- To use, just dab some of the aloe vera face mask onto your face and spread evenly. Let it sit for 20 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
So enjoy the benefits of aloe for skin care, it’s not just for great health, it’s also great for the skin!